ASC 810 — Consolidation
Below is an overview of FASB Accounting Standards Codification Topic 810, Consolidation, as well as a list of FASB Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs) and proposed ASUs related to this Topic.
ASC 810 is comprised of three Subtopics (Overall, Control of Partnerships and Similar Entities, and Research and Development Arrangements). Below is an overview of each Subtopic.
ASC 810-10 provides guidance on general consolidation issues, as well as guidance related to variable interest entities and consolidation of entities controlled by contract.
810-20 Control of Partnerships and Similar Entities
ASC 810-20 provides guidance related to the potential consolidation of partnerships and similar interests.
810-30 Research and Development Arrangements
ASC 810-30 notes that it "provides guidance on whether and how a sponsor should consolidate a research and development arrangement."
The full text of ASC 810 can be found in the FASB Accounting Standards Codification (link to FASB website; registration required). Also, the full text of the Codification and Deloitte-authored Q&As related to the Codification are available in Deloitte's Technical Library website (subscription required).
Content from the FASB Accounting Standards Codification® included at http://www.usgaapplus.com is copyrighted by the Financial Accounting Foundation, 401 Merritt 7, PO Box 5116, Norwalk, CT 06856-5116, and is reproduced with permission.
FASB Accounting Standards Updates
The following ASUs amended the guidance in this Topic:
- ASU 2014-07, Consolidation (Topic 810): Applying Variable Interest Entities Guidance to Common Control Leasing Arrangements (a consensus of the Private Company Council) (issued March 2014; effective December 15, 2014, for annual reporting periods and December 15, 2015, for interim periods).
- ASU 2013-08, Financial Services—Investment Companies (Topic 946): Amendments to the Scope, Measurement, and Disclosure Requirements (issued June 2013; effective December 15, 2013).
- ASU 2013-05, Foreign Currency Matters (Topic 830): Parent’s Accounting for the Cumulative Translation Adjustment Upon Derecognition of Certain Subsidiaries or Groups of Assets Within a Foreign Entity or of an Investment in a Foreign Entity (a consensus of the FASB Emerging Issues Task Force) (issued March 2013; effective December 15, 2013).
- ASU 2012-04, Technical Corrections and Improvements (issued October 2012; effective December 15, 2012, for public entities and December 15, 2013, for nonpublic entities).
- ASU 2011-05, Comprehensive Income (Topic 220): Presentation of Comprehensive Income (issued June 2011; effective December 15, 2011, for public entities and December 15, 2012, for nonpublic entities).
- ASU 2010-10, Consolidation (Topic 810): Amendments for Certain Investment Funds (issued February 2010; effective November 15, 2009).
- ASU 2010-08, Technical Corrections to Various Topics (issued February 2010; effective February 2010).
- ASU 2010-07, Not-for-Profit Entities (Topic 958): Not-for-Profit Entities: Mergers and Acquisitions (issued January 2010; effective December 15, 2009).
- ASU 2010-02, Consolidation (Topic 810): Accounting and Reporting for Decreases in Ownership of a Subsidiary—a Scope Clarification (issued January 2010; effective December 15, 2009).
- ASU 2009-17, Consolidations (Topic 810): Improvements to Financial Reporting by Enterprises Involved with Variable Interest Entities (issued December 2009).
- ASU 2009-16, Transfers and Servicing (Topic 860): Accounting for Transfers of Financial Assets (issued December 2009; effective November 15, 2009).
- ASU 2009-02, Omnibus Update—Amendments to Various Topics for Technical Corrections (issued June 2009; effective December 15, 2008).
Proposed FASB Accounting Standards Updates
The following are proposed amendments to ASC 810:
- Proposed ASU EITF-12Gr—Consolidation (Topic 810): Measuring the Financial Liabilities of a Consolidated Collateralized Financing Entity (a consensus of the FASB Emerging Issues Task Force) (issued October 11, 2012)
- Proposed ASU 2011-220—Consolidation (Topic 810): Principal Versus Agent Analysis (issued November 3, 2011)
- Proposed ASU 1750-100—Consolidation (Topic 810): Amendments to Statement 167 for Certain Investment Funds (issued December 4, 2009).