ASC 810 — Consolidation
The full text of ASC 810, Consolidation, can be found in the FASB Accounting Standards Codification (link to the FASB's Web site; registration required). Also, the full text of the Codification and Deloitte-authored Q&As related to the Codification are available in Deloitte's Technical Library Web site (subscription required).
ASC 810 comprises three Subtopics (Overall, Control of Partnerships and Similar Entities, and Research and Development Arrangements). Below is an overview of each Subtopic.
ASC 810-10 provides guidance on general consolidation issues, as well as guidance related to variable interest entities and consolidation of entities controlled by contract.
810-20 Control of Partnerships and Similar Entities
ASC 810-20 provides guidance related to the potential consolidation of partnerships and similar interests.
810-30 Research and Development Arrangements
ASC 810-30 notes that it "provides guidance on whether and how a sponsor should consolidate a research and development arrangement."
Content from the FASB Accounting Standards Codification® included at http://www.usgaapplus.com is copyrighted by the Financial Accounting Foundation, 401 Merritt 7, PO Box 5116, Norwalk, CT 06856-5116, and is reproduced with permission.
FASB Accounting Standards Updates
The following ASUs amended the guidance in this Topic:
- ASU 2016-17, Interests Held Through Related Parties That Are Under Common Control (issued October 2016; effective December 15, 2016, for public business entities).
ASU 2015-02, Consolidation (Topic 810): Amendments to the Consolidation Analysis (issued February 2015; effective December 15, 2015, for public entities).
- ASU 2014-13, Consolidation (Topic 810): Measuring the Financial Assets and the Financial Liabilities of a Consolidated Collateralized Financing Entity (a consensus of the FASB Emerging Issue Task Force) (issued August 2014; effective December 15, 2015, for public entities).
- ASU 2014-10, Development Stage Entities (Topic 915): Elimination of Certain Financial Reporting Requirements, Including an Amendment to Variable Interest Entities Guidance in Topic 810, Consolidation (issued June 2014; effective December 15, 2014, for public entities).
- ASU 2014-09, Revenue From Contracts With Customers (issued May 2014; effective December 15, 2016, for public entities).
- ASU 2014-07, Consolidation (Topic 810): Applying Variable Interest Entities Guidance to Common Control Leasing Arrangements (a consensus of the Private Company Council) (issued March 2014; effective December 15, 2014, for annual reporting periods and December 15, 2015, for interim periods).
- ASU 2013-08, Financial Services — Investment Companies (Topic 946): Amendments to the Scope, Measurement, and Disclosure Requirements (issued June 2013; effective December 15, 2013).
- ASU 2013-05, Foreign Currency Matters (Topic 830): Parent’s Accounting for the Cumulative Translation Adjustment Upon Derecognition of Certain Subsidiaries or Groups of Assets Within a Foreign Entity or of an Investment in a Foreign Entity (a consensus of the FASB Emerging Issues Task Force) (issued March 2013; effective December 15, 2013).
- ASU 2012-04, Technical Corrections and Improvements (issued October 2012; effective December 15, 2012, for public entities and December 15, 2013, for nonpublic entities).
- ASU 2011-05, Comprehensive Income (Topic 220): Presentation of Comprehensive Income (issued June 2011; effective December 15, 2011, for public entities and December 15, 2012, for nonpublic entities).
- ASU 2010-10, Consolidation (Topic 810): Amendments for Certain Investment Funds (issued February 2010; effective November 15, 2009).
- ASU 2010-08, Technical Corrections to Various Topics (issued February 2010; effective February 2010).
- ASU 2010-07, Not-for-Profit Entities (Topic 958): Not-for-Profit Entities: Mergers and Acquisitions (issued January 2010; effective December 15, 2009).
- ASU 2010-02, Consolidation (Topic 810): Accounting and Reporting for Decreases in Ownership of a Subsidiary — a Scope Clarification (issued January 2010; effective December 15, 2009).
- ASU 2009-17, Consolidations (Topic 810): Improvements to Financial Reporting by Enterprises Involved with Variable Interest Entities (issued December 2009).
- ASU 2009-16, Transfers and Servicing (Topic 860): Accounting for Transfers of Financial Assets (issued December 2009; effective November 15, 2009).
- ASU 2009-02, Omnibus Update — Amendments to Various Topics for Technical Corrections (issued June 2009; effective December 15, 2008).
Proposed FASB Accounting Standards Updates
The following are proposed amendments to ASC 810:
- Proposed ASU 2016-280 — Clarifying When a Not-for-Profit Entity That Is a General Partner Should Consolidate a For-Profit Limited Partnership or Similar Entity (issued August 2016).
See our comprehensive collection of news and publications related to consolidation.
For the IASB's guidance on this topic, see IAS 27, Separate Financial Statements.