ASC 230 — Statement of Cash Flows
Below is an overview of FASB Accounting Standards Codification Topic 230, Statement of Cash Flows, as well as a list of FASB Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs) and proposed ASUs related to this Topic.
ASC 230 provides guidance for reporting cash flows in general purpose financial statements and provides information about where to find guidance related to industry-specific issues. Specifically, ASC 230 notes:
Specific guidance is provided on all of the following:
Other Topics, including industry-specific Topics, may have Statement of Cash Flows Subtopics that address the Topic-specific requirements for the statement of cash flows. The guidance in those Subtopics is intended to be incremental to the guidance otherwise established in this Statement of Cash Flows Topic. Topics with incremental Statement of Cash Flows Subtopics are:
The full text of ASC 230 can be found in the FASB Accounting Standards Codification (link to the FASB's Web site; registration required). Also, the full text of the Codification and Deloitte-authored Q&As related to the Codification are available in Deloitte's Technical Library Web site (subscription required).
Content from the FASB Accounting Standards Codification® included at http://www.usgaapplus.com is copyrighted by the Financial Accounting Foundation, 401 Merritt 7, PO Box 5116, Norwalk, CT 06856-5116, and is reproduced with permission.
FASB Accounting Standards Updates
The following ASUs amended the guidance in this Topic:
- ASU 2013-08, Financial Services—Investment Companies (Topic 946): Amendments to the Scope, Measurement, and Disclosure Requirements (issued June 2013; effective December 15, 2013).
- ASU 2012-05, Statement of Cash Flows (Topic 230): Not-for-Profit Entities: Classification of the Sale Proceeds of Donated Financial Assets in the Statement of Cash Flows (a consensus of the FASB Emerging Issues Task Force) (issued October 2012; effective June 15, 2013).
- ASU 2012-04, Technical Corrections and Improvements (issued October 2012; effective December 15, 2012, for public entities and December 15, 2013, for nonpublic entities).
- ASU 2010-08, Technical Corrections to Various Topics (issued February 2010; effective February 2010).
Proposed FASB Accounting Standards Updates
The following are proposed amendments to ASC 230:
- Proposed ASU EITF-16A—Statement of Cash Flows (Topic 230): Restricted Cash (a consensus of the FASB Emerging Issues Task Force) (issued April 28, 2016).
- (issued January 29, 2016).