Principles for Responsible Investment Initiative publishes updated reporting framework
The United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investment Initiative (PRI) has published a new Reporting Framework for signatories.
The PRI is an investor initiative in partnership with UNEP Finance Initiative and the UN Global Compact, whereby international investors become signatories and work together to put the following six 'Principles for Responsible Investment' into practice:
- We will incorporate environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles
- We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
The new Reporting Framework (to meet the sixth point above, and replacing the existing framework) has been designed through an extensive consultation process to achieve three main sets of objectives for signatories:
- Accountability of the PRI: to ensure transparency and accountability of the PRI initiative and its signatories
- Signatory transparency: to encourage signatory transparency on responsible investment activities
- Signatory assessment: to provide tools to allow signatories to measure their performance with objective indicators.
The new Reporting Framework is being introduced in 2012 as a voluntary pilot, before being made mandatory.
More information is available on the PRI website.