Qualitative Goodwill Impairment Assessment — A Roadmap to Applying the Guidance in ASU 2011-08
This publication addresses considerations related to adopting and performing a qualitative assessment of goodwill impairment in accordance with ASU 2011-08.
Key topics discussed include:
- Establishing and documenting the facts that are relevant to reporting units and goodwill balances.
- Updating processes and related internal controls in response to the guidance in ASU 2011-08.
- Identifying reporting units that bypass step 0 and proceed to step 1 of the traditional two-step impairment analysis.
- Evaluating events and circumstances to support an assertion that it is not more likely than not that the fair value of a reporting unit is less than its carrying amount.
- Documenting the conclusions reached in the qualitative assessment.